September 1, 2010

Diabetes Art Day: Cake for a Cure

So, today is the first-ever Diabetes Art Day. Thought up by Lee Ann Thill over at The Butter Compartment. In honor of the day, on Monday (my day off from work!) I baked a cake. Actually, it was a duel purpose because Tuesday was my BIRTHDAY! (31st, to be exact!).

This is a banana frosting cake, with homemade frosting. (BTW - No carbs to worry about because it's birthday cake).  We all want a cure, so that was the theme for my cake - to the tune of Journey and their hit song, Don't Stop Believin'. Great song, not only because it is but also because it was most recently on GLEE!!

So, here's my cake, with some theme music from GLEE!




We enjoyed a piece each later the night of my birthday on Tuesday, but only after going out to dinner at our local brewpub The Oaken Barrel and then going out for a birthday SURPRISE!

The only clue Mike gave me at dinner was that "this time this surprise means the most!"

We went to Baskin Robbins, 31 Flavors! - - -> Meaning: I had my 31st Birthday, on August 31, and got 31 Flavors at the ice cream shop on U.S. 31!

Had the BEST Chocolate & PeanutButter Icecream in a Waffle Cone...  It was AWEsome!!!!!

- - - - >"For 31 on 31, got 31 from 31 on 31."

Then, we came home and enjoyed the Cake for a Cure! What a great day!

So, not only was it a Happy Birthday To Me, but it's now Happy Diabetes Art Day!

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Suzi. Awesome cake! I love art that you can eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful, and i like that thinking about birthday cake not having carbs. Oh, do I ever love banana cake too...

    We're big Glee fans too, and really love the Glee rendition of Don't Stop Believing. Big thumbs up to food art with such a hopeful theme on Diabetes Art Day, and I'm so happy you joined in the fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and wow, what a dork I am to forget...

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very yummy birthday.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! Looks delicious and of course the message is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that was pretty cool for him to think up that ice cream idea. That took some mind work. Hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks wonderful. Wish we could have been there to taste it. That was pretty smart of him to figure out all those things about 31. Sounds like you had a good day. Your art projects are all nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet that tasted SO good.... Love the video, too! Great way to celebrate Diabetes Art Day with a musical wish for a cure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love It! Happy Birthday!

    And chocolate PB is by far the BEST Baskin Robbins flavor :)

    ReplyDelete